Categories
Computers & Software

Amarok Startup Crash — Solved!

Every since I upgraded to OpenSuse 11.2, a source of frustration was that Amarok was broken, and I couldn’t fix it.  Every time I tried to start it, I would immediately get a crash report from KDE.  I could solve the problem by downgrading libxine to the version that came with OpenSuse, but that meant no mp3 support (OpenSuse can’t include proprietary codecs). Kaffeine worked fine with mp3 support, but it still bugged me that I couldn’t get Amarok to run. I even downloaded the latest version source code and compiled it but, no dice!

So, just tonight, I fixed it.  I tried a lot of useless fixes from the Google, but this site had the answer.  It’s simple.  I uninstalled phonon-backend-xine and it works now. Go figure.

By mannd

I am a retired cardiac electrophysiologist who has worked both in private practice in Louisville, Kentucky and as a Professor of Medicine at the University of Colorado in Denver. I am interested not only in medicine, but also in computer programming, music, science fiction, fantasy, 30s pulp literature, and a whole lot more.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.